Monday, January 25, 2016

Reaching some goals

This past weekend was a local AKC agility trial, held inside and where I train. Set up was easy, arriving and leaving was quick and painless and the trial was run really smoothly. I love trialing outside, enjoying the sun and hanging out around "nature", but I can't complain about the ease of indoor trials! So little set up, easy to pack and unpack, so much less draining!

Maybe the stars aligned just right, or the moon was in the right phase, but Rosey and I had the best weekend we've ever had. We were connected, I knew my courses, and she was doing her best to follow all my commands. I remembered to talk to her, to let her know how amazing she is, and she responded to each "yes" with a burst of speed and confidence. The look in her face after the run was enough to tell me she thought that we did a good job! Our weaves are still an issue, still slowing down after our first class, always a "project" for us. This weekend hopefully is a first among many, and all our hard work is starting to pay off!

Priority #1 this weekend was keeping connected. After the OMD seminar in December with Jessica Ajoux, I've started to get into a rhythm of letting Rosey know when she does a good turn or make a great decision... I was missing that piece and Rosey was getting slower because I wasn't giving her that feedback. Now that we're on track, she's getting more confident with turns and tight sections, making it more fun and easier for me to handle! Another major help to get connection was taking Denise Fenzi's play class and Deb Jones' Focus class, both have helped me understand how to play and how to make "working" so much more fun! Agility isn't just about running anymore, it's becoming a game and a conversation that we both look forward to having.

Priority #2 was to reduce most of my ring nerves, keep a clear head while running, and be open to connect with Rosey. Taking the mental management class with Andrea has really helped me identify my own issues and help me take control of them. With the tools I learned there, I was able to see the nerves coming long before they would be able to affect me. Driving to the trial, I was able to get myself into a more focused and better mindset, and setting the tone of the day. I even found myself humming while walking courses, not even realizing I was doing it until halfway through. I felt clear headed and I was totally present each run. It went so well that I am suspicious that I might not be able to make it happen again! Something to keep watching and working on... need more practice!

How did we do on paper? Exactly as I felt we should! We earned 5/6 Qs this weekend, making that two QQ, 1st place in Premier Standard, and 68-speed points towards our PACH.

One year ago, I was considering that I might not ever be able to run with Rosey. Her injury, her age, her heart murmur... it was all coming together and things seemed like I needed to make big decisions. I'm so glad I made decisions to explore rehab, strengthening, time off, and making an effort to make her better. 2015 was all about healing, and Rosey sure looked healed this weekend! I saw she was a little slower by the end of the weekend, but she's not sore! OMG she's not sore ;) So grateful to all the amazing teachers I have been able to learn from this past year. Our journey isn't over, it feels like we're just getting started!
Loot after Saturday! Added 2 more 2nd places and a 1st place and another QQ ribbon.

No comments :

Post a Comment