Monday, January 4, 2016

Expanding - 2016

2015 was my year of healing. I loved Tori Self's way of looking at new years and adopted my own mantra for this past year. Both dogs were hurting and I needed to discover what I needed to do to help them heal. In the process, I learned so much, more than I ever knew I could know. Thank you 2015! We healed in all sorts of directions.


Now that Sam has learned how to let go of some of her worry, not that she always chooses to, she's started to play. She plays with me, she plays with Rosey, or she plays alone with her favorite toys. She's quirky and will never be my second competing agility dog, but she will always be my weird sensitive dog. She sings her own tune (daily) and will always be wary of things she doesn't know or understand. My favorite new tricks she's learned this year are: picking up and throwing toys at me, shoulder rolls, "back it up", and finally being able to (occasionally) dismiss when the neighbor's dog is hanging over the wall of our yard. As always, we will have to hold each other's hand this year. We will figure out what "hanging out" really means in 2016.




Rosey has healed from her psoas injury, but the scars of my ignorance will be there for the rest of her life. Hard to swallow, but now that I've learned what we can do to keep her sound, she won't have to suffer as a result. Every day we have to remember to keep trying to be stronger - daily training, daily massage, and never forgetting. Wanting to come home and hang out with her on the couch isn't helping our situation and I need to change some habits to be able to work on both of us a little better. We both have the foundation we need, now it's time for 2016 and to Expand.



My goals for 2016 are to expand. Expand what is normal for me, step outside the easy. I want to expand my definition of Rosey, I want to expand what it means to be me. What do I want? What do I want to struggle through to get what I want? There is so much out there, I think I need to start choosing and diving in, grabbing hold of what I want and tugging away.


No comments :

Post a Comment